Probably the only church in Wales dedicated to this East Anglian royal saint, St Edmunds, Crickhowell was founded around 1300 by Lady Sybil Pauncefote (née Sybil de Turberville) who also rebuilt Crickhowell castle in stone.
Largely restored in the Victorian period, it still retains some medieval features.
Partrishow graveyard, Powys, set in the Black Mountains
of the Brecon Beacons National Park — snowdrops indicate the season
Interior of 16th-century chancel, Partrishow church, Powys from contemporary rood loft with 18th-century memorials on the wall and graveslabs in floor
The west end of the 11th-century nave
The eglwys-y-bedd or ‘church of the grave’ (13th/14th century) is in the foreground, assumed to house the grave of founder St Issui;
the bells were add in the early 20th century
Kissing gate, Partrishow medieval church, Powys
Early 20th porch leading to medieval church of Partrishow (also Patricio or Patrishow), Powys, the 11th century church of Saint Issui
The accent is on the middle syllable, so it sounds like a sneeze …
More looking up 2/4: tower of former Victorian church of St John’s, Clifton, Bristol